Commercial Applications of Anodized Aluminum
Anodized Aluminum CoilAnodized Aluminum products and components are used in thousands of commercial, industrial and consumer applications, including:
- Structures and architectural categories of all types : Building exteriors, such as storefronts, curtain walls and roofing systems.
- Appliances : Appliances such as refrigerators, dryers, coffee brewers, ranges, televisions, microwave equipment.
- Commercial and residential building products :Vents, awnings, duct covers, light fixtures, storm doors, window frames, mailboxes, bathroom accessories, patio covers and wall switch plates for buildings.
- Food preparation equipment :Display cases, pans, coolers and grills for the food industry.
- Tables, beds, files and storage chests for home and offices.
- Golf carts, boats, and camping / fishing equipment for the leisure industry.
- Furniture : Interior decoration and trim.
- Sporting goods and boats
- Motor vehicle components : Hundreds of components for motor vehicles of all kinds such as trim parts, wheel covers, control panels, and name plates.
- Exterior panels for aerospace vehicles, clocks and electronic products, fire extinguishers, photo equipment, solar panels, telephones, picture frames, and bathroom accessories.
This is just a small list of products made up of anodized aluminum, designers could take advantage of anodizing for thousands of other uses.
Benefits and Applications of Aluminum Anodizing Process
The process of aluminum anodizing adds a layer of oxidation to aluminum extrusion products. Unlike iron or carbon steel where oxidation creates a layer of corrosion or rust, the anodizing process actually enhances the properties of aluminum. The hard, oxidized layer becomes a part of the aluminum, creating numerous beneficial properties.
Benefits of Aluminum Anodizing
Aluminum anodizing enhances the advantageous characteristics of aluminum in several ways:
Durability: Since anodized aluminum extrusion products have a protective layer, they are more resistant to wear from normal handling and usage.
Finishing: The process creates a more aesthetically pleasing finish, with either a clear or colourized appearance.
Corrosion resistance: The thick outer coating produced, along with proper sealing, increases the corrosion resistivity of the surface as it prevents further oxidization.
Lasting Color: The color finish added to anodized aluminum is more enduring due to the surface obtaining more adhesive and porous qualities during the anodizing process. The resulting anodic film coating allows for effective dyeing processes to be applied.
Strength: The anodized aluminum surface is harder than pure aluminum, second only to diamonds with respect to its hard crystalline structure.
Applications for Aluminum Anodizing
Aluminum anodizing has a variety of commercial uses and diverse consumer applications across a wide range of industries. The benefits of this strong and resistant finish are beneficial in the parts used in aircraft and automotive products. Architectural and construction projects often incorporate these strengthened materials into their external structures, as they are capable of withstanding all types of weather. Many components used in both day-to-day and industrial electronics are also improved through this valuable process. From satellites orbiting the Earth that are protected from the impact of debris to the smallest appliances and decorative items in our homes, the potential of anodized aluminum products are unlimited.
This enduring treatment improves the strength and aesthetics of aluminum extrusion products for easy maintenance and long life in any conditions, whether it be indoors or out in the elements.